3.03.2009

My handy dad.

Handiness does runs in my family. Both my Grandfathers are quite the craftsmen. My dad is very handy and even my mom for that that matter. But it seems the handy gene stopped with me.



The best examples I can use are my "school project" examples. The two that quickly come to mind are the replica of the Mission in the 4th grade and the rubber band powered car in 7th. The instrcutions for both projects was to "build" something. Well, they might as well have been in French once building was involved. My father, however? He was like a kid in a candy store. He was so excited about building the Mission (Mission Soledad, to be exact) that we failed to read the size limitations. The Mission was supposed to be no bigger than 12 inches by 12 inches. Mine had to be carried by several people and was large enough for several cats to sleep comfortably. He even helped me to stucco the outside walls of the church to make it really look like adobe. There was also talk of hooking up lights to make it "really cool" but I think the idea was squashed considering the fact that I am pretty sure the monks didn't have access to Chirstmas lights.



In 7th grade we had to make a car that was powered by rubber bands or string or angels or something. It had to be able to get up a ramp. The competition part of it was that there would be 2 cars coming up either side of the ramp (making a peak in the middle) and whose ever car could push the other back down their side would win and move on to the next round and so on. One car would remain in the end and be named champion.



My father had to win.



There were very specific items you could and could not use. My dad's idea was to build a car shaped like a right tri-angle, the angled side facing forward. As the car would move forward a huge, heavy dowel would roll down the front of the car and out ahead of it, crushing anything in it's path. He was convinced we were a sure win. The night before the competion, he drew flames and wrote "No Fear" all over the car. Although slightly embarrassed, I thought he just might be right. In order to set up the car, there was twisting and winding of string and rubber bands involved. This had to be "DONE IN A VERY SPECIFIC WAY OR THE CAR WOULD NOT WORK. HEATHER!!!!"



Well, guess what?? I didn't wind it right. And I am pretty sure we were out in the first round. And my mom caught it all on video. To this day my father still talks about that car and how, "if only I had....."



And despite everything I just told you my father swears that all he did was help me and by no means did he make either of those thing "for me." But to that I say, "Ok Dad. Whatever helps you sleep at night."



Thank God he is a handyman.

No comments: