7.31.2007

I give life.

I periodically donate blood and it is always a rewarding but basically uneventful experience. It takes all of about 30 minutes and nothing very exciting ever happens, and for that I am thankful to be very honest. The blood bank will typically have a volunteer there to help you with your treat of juice and cookies after your donation is complete. It is always a very awkward exchange because you sit down in an area that is about 3x3 and the water, juice and cookies are all right there. However, it is the job of the volunteer to walk the 2.7 ft to the water cooler to get your beverage. I always feel so silly being waiting on in that setting. I mean, it is not like I have to run up a hill or battle a dragon before I can get my water. I was able to walk the 15 feet from the donation chair to the "canteen" as they call it. For God's sake, I can walk the two more and get a glass of OJ! But I digress.

Nearly every time I have donated, the volunteer has been an elderly lady named Dolores. She talks (pretty much for the entire 10-minute required waiting period to make sure I don't pass out or something) in a low, mumbly voice. Though it may seem rude, I have found that asking her to repeat what she says does not really change her volume or diction, so I basically smile and nod and try to laugh when she does at her own jokes.

At my last donation, it was not Dolores but a bubbly teenager who quite quickly reaffirmed the fact that I am getting old. During my donation I watched her sing...and kind of dance along to the new Rihanna song, "Umbrella." (Hey, I guess I can't be that old. I did not even have to Google that song title...that's right, I like the funky jams.) As I made my way over to the table she greeted me with a smile full of braces. Oh Lord.

She asked me what I would like to drink and brought me my water. She then sat at the table I was at and just stared at me, smiling. "Thank you." I said. (Wow, that is quite a smile she has there. Uncomfortable...)

"So how are you doing today?"

"Really well, thanks."

"Do you come here a lot?" (To the blood bank? Yeah, totally, it is awesome here!)

"Well, not recently. My iron levels have been too low so I have not been able to donate but I have been taking iron supplements so..." (why the hell am I telling her all this!?!? Ok...now there is awkward silence...why is she still staring at me...)

"Hee-hee...well I am really glad you got that taken care of!" (and hair flip, hair flip)

We had a few more uncomfortable exchanges and then the kicker. I asked, "So, have you ever participated in a blood drive at your high school?"

"Well, I mean, we have had them and stuff but I have never done it because, like, you know how you have to be like 17? Well, you also have to weigh 110 lbs...and I am neither so...hee-hee!"

"Riiight." (I don't remember when I weighed 110 lbs but whatever!)

"And I mean, next year I will be 17 but like, I just don't think that there will be anyway that I can gain 5 pounds between now and then!"

Ok, you know what, honey? I would be willing to bet that these Nutter Butters I am eating right now are probably going to pack on an extra 5 lbs. In fact, just looking at them is probably going to make me gain 5 lbs! And you know what else, lets not even talk about the Pecan Sandies that I am eyeing over there that I probably won't eat right now, but lets face, will take for the road. I gave life today!

Alright, so maybe I am overreacting a little. I know, I am not old. I will say that it is quickly becoming very apparent that people in high school are a lot younger than me now. I don't remember when I reached the point where I no longer felt like I could still identify with them in some way.

But there is still that high school girl in me somewhere. After donating, I went to buy myself a pair of running shoes (See aforementioned Nutter Butters) and I went with the light blue ones, not because they will support my feet and ankles, but because they will look cute with my new running outfit. Some may call me juvenile, but I say that is just good fashion.

2 comments:

Tina Phan said...

i have to agree, matching running shoes with your cute gym booty pants is a definite must! miss you much, hope all is well...
tina.

Heather said...

Tina,
I knew you would approve...however, I have a confession to make...it is a running skirt...and it has shorts under it so it is a borderline "skort." Please don't hate me.