10.01.2007

Two years...and change.

Today is our second wedding anniversary. I say wedding in that way because with Grant and me, the type of anniversary needs to be clarified.

See, first there is June 15, 1995. It was on this day that Grant asked me to be his girlfriend, in front of the band room. So romantic. He had a ring and everything. Granted, it was plastic and in the shape of a squirrel, but it was in a box at least!

This was a super secret anniversary for a while. We were not ready for our parents to know about our love! However, it was a little hard to keep it a secret considering that neither of us drove and a boy who is "just friends" with a girl does not often agree, with little to no complaining, to going to see a romantic comedy unless there is some sort of guarantee that the girl he is with will be making out with him for some portion of the flick. So I think they were onto us. One thing I have actually learned since then: parents are smart. Anyway, this past June, if you were counting from the first time, we have been together for 12 years.

After the great breakup of 1996, due to a flood of raging hormones and melodramatic emotional outbursts, we got back together on January 1, 1998. That time, although he kissed me first, I did the asking out, making this past January mark 10 years.

I don't know what I would have said in 1995 if someone told me what would happen to me on October 1, 2005. I probably would have turned red in the face, giggled and said I didn't believe it. However, part of me wants to believe that all I would have said was "I know." So today makes 2 years, but really I look at it as nearly half my life. We literally watched each other grow up.

It started here...


then here...


and again here...


until finally we made it here:


We have been though a lot together; life and loss. More things in fact, than I thought I would ever have to experience. But I am glad all the things I have been through over the past 12, 10 and 2 years, good and bad, have been with Grant. And despite all of the imperfections and flaws that we have discovered about each other, and many times overcame together, we have always loved each other unconditionally through it all.

Well...almost all of it.

No comments: