8.13.2007

I wanna rock!!!

On Saturday, Grant and I went to Ameoba Records in San Francisco and saw John Vanderslice do an quaint in-store performance promoting his new album. It started at 2:00 pm and after it was over (around 3:30) Grant said, "I kinda wish all concerts were this early."

Agreed.

It was lovely, after the show we got to enjoy an early supper together and made it home just in time to catch all our programs.

At the show, a few isles in in front of us was a couple that looked about our age and with them, specifically on his dad's shoulders, was their little boy. He was probably about two and a half to threeish. I am sure mom (or dad) saw that there was going to be a concert by one of their favorite musicans, in a music store with no age limitations, cover charge or need for a sitter and they said, "Screw his nap time. We are going to this!"

The little guy did pretty well, actually. When John Vanderslice first came out on stage he was waving at him frantically. And after each song he turned to his mom with a big semi-toothy grin and clapped proudly. Despite how well he was doing, he was bound to get tired. His mom gave him his blanket and a binky and he closed his eyes and laid his head on his dad's shoulder.

This made me think of the time that Grant and I went to see Superdrag at Bottom of the Hill in the city. We had a nice dinner and being that I was freshly 21 years old, I decided to order a glass of wine, house red I am sure. Not realizing the effects that cheap red wine can have I proceeded to get very, very sleepy. You would think it would be impossible to fall asleep during a rock concert. You would be wrong. I started to fall asleep...while standing. Since I knew this was never going to work, I scoped out a stool, placed it behind Grant and leaned my head against his back and fell asleep.

So, it can be done. And this little boy also "pulled a Heather" right in the middle of a rock show. After he fell asleep I thought to myself, toddler, enjoying a rock star, not causing a ruckus, falls asleep without disturbing his father's listening enjoyment...this is everything Grant could ever want in a child.

No comments: