3.16.2003

The Psychology of My Coffee Mugs

I have noticed that I have this strange routine or pattern when choosing my coffee mug in the morning. It seems that there are distinct reasons for choosing a particular mug on a particular day. Take Thursdays and Fridays for example. I will usually opt for the big "Friends"-style mug on these days. I am assuming it is because of the anticipation for the show to air on Thursday. And on Friday, I am reminded of the large mugs that were popularized by the show nine years ago, which makes me reach for that style. I definitely have a "I am in no hurry, I am going to enjoy this coffee" mug. I also have a "Dammit, I am running late again, why do I insist on falling back asleep after the alarm goes off, now I hardly have time to drink this coffee!" mug. That mug is small, has a very nondescript shape, and doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. It should come as no surprise that I avoid this mug at all costs.

Tea is a whole other story. I always drink tea out of the same, hand thrown, ceramic mug with hand-painted stars, dark blue moon and yellow sun. The best explaination I have for this choice is that I must equate drinking tea with celestial drawings and items that look like they belong at the Renaissance Faire.

The whole process is very strange. Granted, it is not foolproof, but I definitely have a system. I have a master's thesis on the subject in the works.

No comments: