2.27.2007

Open wide.

At a recent trip to the dentist, I was thrilled to find out that all 5 of my oldest fillings would need to be replaced making me realize that parents should never give their children a hard time about the cavities they have to pay for since, apparently, you have to pay for them all over again.

I think it is pretty fair to say that no matter what you are getting done, the dentist is an overall unpleasant experience but I have decided that nothing is more demeaning than someone else flossing your teeth for you. On our recent trip to Oregon, I was reminded of the full-service only gas stations law in that state and Grant was having a very difficult time with it. As we would pull into a gas station he was utter things like, "What, do they think we are stupid?" and "Seriously, this is ridiculous" or "Um, hi, I can pump my own gas."

That is what I felt like as the hygienist was flossing me. I am not a child. When he was done he asked me, "Do you floss your teeth like that at home." To which my bloody gums responded, "Yes" because you and I both know you lie to your dentist about the frequency of your flossing habits. I said yes but what I felt like saying was, "No! No I do not floss my teeth like that! What the hell were you were trying to do? Saw my jaw in half!"

Then for the polish. What the hell is that? Did a bunch of dentists sit around a table and say to one another, "How can we make this experience more uncomfortable? I've got it, mix sand in the toothpaste!"

At the end of my appointment the hygienist handed me a wet-nap. I took the wet-nap and thought to myself, "Why that is odd, I do not recall eating any barbecued ribs at this appointment." In fact, the last time I checked, your hands are not usually involved in any type of dental work. I had no idea what to do with it, so I started to wipe my hands, then thought it must be for my face, but who puts a wipe on their face?

Honestly, the best part about the dentist is rescheduling knowing that you will not need to come back for another 6 months. I was robbed of that satisfaction as well as I will be back for two appointments to fix the wear and tear. Lucky me.

6 comments:

Josh said...

Hey, I went to the dentist yesterday! Oh the fun times we have had...

Heather said...

Ahhh...we are dentist buddies!

Allison said...

I went to the dentist recently and you know what, I did tell the truth, NO I DO NOT FLOSS! I figured my gums were bleeding,and I am 32! What is the point? I don't even feel bad...

Heather said...

You have no idea how empowering that is, Allie.

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather, you REALLY made me laugh on that dentist visit. Guess what? Others, beside your Mom and husband have found your blog! I am in South GA(near Tallahassee, FL) and ran upon your blog while "googling"(when did that get to be a verb?) Me Talk Pretty Someday. Since it's one of your favorites, and listed in your blog, I. instead, ended up with that hilarous dentist thing. In Jan '07, the same thing happened to me w/flossing. I wanted to yank the floss from the hygienist and say "Let me do it myself, so I can be assured some gum surface when I leave." Incidentally, I did not see a review of the book. Did you write one? Best Wishes from Sunny South Georgia. Jude

Heather said...

No, I did not write a review of the book...I try not to write about anything that did not directly happen to me or about me...I really should not be taken seriously. My grammar skills are included in that.