11.24.2003

I think I discovered the heaven of Fremont

Some of my closest friends and family members have been known to refer to me as a "food hound." You may think the dog reference would offend me, but not really; I actually understand it and I will admit that the nickname is accurate. I love fancy grocery stores. To me, Andronico's Market or Whole Foods is not just a trip to the store, it is an experience. When I worked in Dublin last summer I went to Whole Foods Market on my lunch break probably three days out of every week to just walk around. I guess it's just fun for me to see all the cuisine options that are out there. Fancy grocery stores are, well, my happy place.

I never thought I would feel that way about a Safeway. Today, I was proven wrong.

Today I experienced the brand new Safeway that just opened in Fremont. I started my shopping trip off with a Starbucks gingerbread latte. I took a few sips and then placed the coffee into the cup holder attached to my cart. (At this point I had already been greeted by at least three Safeway employees). I walked by the huge deli section and the olive bar. I then noticed the extensive wine selection they carried. Throughout the trip, several different employees offered to help me find what I was looking for. I walked into the produce section and noticed that I was standing on hardwood flooring. Nice touch. As I made my way to checkout, I noticed a manager who had just closed down his register. He noticed me and said, "Oh! Were you ready miss? Because I can help you here." He then unlatched the chain that blocks the aisle and let me push my cart in, and then re-latched the chain behind me. He opened the lane just for me! He offered me help to my car of course, which I declined, but as I was putting the bags into my car, another employee came up to me and took my cart back to the store for me. I was the best shopping trip I have ever been on. I think I am in love.

No comments: