2.26.2003

I have this button on my car stereo that has the letters "SCA" on the front. I am assuming that these letters stand for the word "scan" and I think it is silly that they did not just make the letters smaller so the "n" that would complete the word and make its function readily apparent would fit on it. But I digress. The reason for this post, however insignificant it may be, is that I am in love with this button. Basically, by pushing this button, the stereo scans through all the stations within listening range and pauses for a few seconds on each one. I use it all the time. In fact, sometimes, I never take it off; I just let it keep scanning. I have become so used to it that I don't even realize that I am only singing 4 seconds of all the songs because to me it just sounds like one big song. I feel like one of those infomercials for compilation CD's. You know...Hits from the 60's...70's...80's. And for at least 2/3 of the commercial, the 50 selections, found on either one compact disc or two cassette tapes, are scrolling up the television screen stopping on every third song to play a few measures. That's me in my car everyday.

Of course this button does have its downsides as well. For example, I have gotten so used to it that when I actually come to a song that I would like to listen to the whole way through, the station switches four seconds later. Then there is a mad panic to hit the tuner button and get back to the previous station before it switches again. And then there are the times when I hear a song that I like but I think maybe there is a song a few stations up that I would rather listen to. And then by the time I actually realize that I would really rather have listened to the first song, I have to wait for all the stations to rotate through before I can get back to that song. And chances are, that song is now over and I have to find something else. It's a viscious cycle, really. That is what I get for being lazy, I guess.

No comments: