11.05.2002

Scholarship worthy? You be the judge...

My personal statement for the merit scholarship

I am a child development major.
I volunteered for Head Start Preschools through CSUS service learning.
I was a teacher for a day care program over the summer of 2002.
I am currently employed at the ASI Children’s Center.
I have sung in many choirs throughout my life and am a member of the CSUS Concert Choir.
I am fluent in American Sign Language and am very interested in the deaf community and teaching sign language to hearing children.
The purpose of this list is not to brag. Rather, these are the activities I am involved in that help define me. It is not these accomplishments that make me deserving of this award, but those I have yet to complete. I feel that my experiences in the field of child development and beyond are small tastes of what I am capable of. I remember my mindset before my first semester at CSUS: All child development majors become teachers. Admittedly, I want to teach, but the more I become involved with the field of child development, I realize that I am not limited to one career path. Child development majors can serve their community in so many other ways.
It is still unclear what experiences and challenges my future holds for me. I do know that I will be trying to make a difference in the lives of children and their families. Do I want to change the world? I wish it could be that simple. However, the knowledge I have gained through the child development department has taught me that change in the fields of education and child advocacy is necessary. I am confident I can help make that change happen.

I don't know. Too cheesy? We shall see I guess...

No comments: